Preliminary Project - School Magazine (Biddulph High School)

Preliminary Project / Front Cover

My aim for this project was:-
1.Create something eye catching and interesting
2.Produce something original that is still appropriate for the target audience and useful.
3.Make the focal image capture the theme of the magazine in a subverted way.
Overall I believe I achieved this but if anyone has and suggestions on areas I can improve it would be very useful for my coursework.

Mise-on-scene

Colour Scheme: - The colour scheme I have used is based around the school colours which are dark blue and a sun yellow compliment each other and give a interesting basis to work on, I tried to incorporate and use various gradients of these colours to give variation and interest to the masthead by using block colour and alternate colouring which I believed worked well. Also I believe the colours worked well as a basic background in the jigsaw pieces and the background which acts as a page divider.

The Main Image:-The image I used ,I tried to capture what the school is recognised for which is being a sports college and in the image I tried to sow or represent the wide variation of sporting activity the school offer and I believe the mid-shot enabled me to capture the school uniform and the youth of the school.I decided to take the picture in the outdoor setting as it acted as a neutral background as well as being more interesting than a blank canvas but also links with the sporting theme of the magazine.

Mast head and sub-headings
With the masthead in kept this the same font as the Biddulph High logo to link the magazine together. The subheadings I used almost like newspaper clippings to symbolise headlines which is I believe affective and is away from the conventional theme of a magazine which I was trying to active a funnier younger target audience. I also incorporated the jigsaw pieces from the Biddulph High school logo to make an interesting banner acting as a story board almost in the colour scheme which again work well with the images not hindering them.

Content Page
Masthead
I decided to keep the masthead the same for the title of the content page as the front cover as it gives continuity and I also kept it the same for the subheadings an s the type face is bold and stands out as a divider.
Mise-On-Scene
I found it hard to find a satisfying way of presenting the stories and there page numbers in the end I thought I wanted a neutral background so I decided to keep in with the them of school and used stationary items to break up the white which I believe is quiet effective. I then used a basic type face which looks like an old school type writer which I believe ties together the page and theme of the section. I then used postic notes which I attached to the images I had used to symbolise the nature of the story which I edited and changed to fit in with the colour scheme.

I then created dividers which I again put in the colour scheme of the school which were affective and showed a clear divide. I again used the jigsaw pieces to present my pictures which linked to the stories on the left hand side. Only presented these in yellow as the background was dark blue which again meant there was little left space as the colour gives it interest so it isn't bland.

On the contents page I used the school logo much more to fill open space and to show the link between the colour scheme and shape used and because the magazine is for the school and I then incorporated the sports college logo to symbolise there unity.

I then used Olympic pictograms which I edited to introduce the stories to the right together with postic note the simplicity of both work well.

Again I believe I have created a success piece but if anyone has any input they would like to give it would be very helpful for my coursework so I could implement changes.









No comments: